Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Barry on Briggate

It seems that 'Barry on Brigate' has been taken over. Barry's was a newsagent next to the bus stops on Briggate (funnily enough) in Leeds that sold chocolate etc. at shamelessly massive comedy mark-ups.

I refused to pay, walked out and never went back out but a lot of people didn't - embarrassment I guess - I mean does it really matter if it's 60p for a 45p bar of choccy? Not to everyone I guess. You could peer through the doors and watch Barry leer as customers went white and stumped up the cash You'd chuckle to yourself or sigh and shake your head.

The new owners have put up a sign saying that they're no longer Barry's and that all prices have been reduced! Less comedy though...

4 comments:

Chris Martin said...

What happened to Barry though, there are rumours that he was involved in 'card cloning' in his upstairs room. There's also a rumour that he up to summat more dubious and into some illicit sex or the like!!

We need to know!!

John Parkes said...

I think he transferred his 'think of the RRP and double it' chocolate pricing policy to WH Smiths...Perhaps he was doing upspeakable things with a Frys Chocolate Cream upstairs...

Anonymous said...

I rented a house from him. When I left, he refused to refund the damage deposit. I had to take him to Small Claims Court to get it back. That took a whole year. The amount was, to him, trivial.

He acted like an idiot at the Court session. When the judge entered the room, he was reading a tabloid paper with his feet up on the table and dressed scruffy. He was lost before we even started. I had done my homework and had no trouble winning

Anonymous said...

He died 10 years ago